Nowadays, one of the most important problem is the safety of food production. Hundreds of diseases are transmitted through the food chain, and globalization of food trade only complicates security control.
ISO 22000 "Food Safety Management Systems. Requirements for organizations of any food chain" standard was developed in order to control the safety of food products by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). This standard sets requirements for the management system in organizations related to the production and consumption of food products and aimed at demonstrating their ability to control food safety and ensure that their products are safe for consumers.
Food safety management system implemented at your enterprise in accordance with the requirements of the standard allows:
- to identify and evaluate all potential hazards and risks associated with the production process;
- to ensure processes which are managed in such way to prevent the occurrence of dangerous factors;
- to control the compliance to the legislative and regulatory requirements which are related to the safety of food products.
The principles of ISO 22000 are based on НАССР(англ. Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) – risk analysis and critical control points.
There are 7 points of НАССР:
- definition of dangerous factors which influence on the products;
- definition of critical points - locations of potential hazards that need to be controlled to avoid or minimize potential hazards;
- setting limits at checkpoints for identifying inadmissible parameters of certain indicators from inadmissible;
- monitoring at certain critical points;
- development and implementation of corrective actions for cases where indicators at control points exceed the established limit;
- establishing verification procedures to confirm the functioning of the system;
- documentation of all procedures of the system for confirmation of system effectiveness.
Very important! Implementation and application of procedures based on the principles of risk analysis and critical points of the HACCP is a mandatory requirement for all food chain enterprises at the legislative level! Due to non-compliance with these requirements, the enterprises are liable in accordance with the current legislation of Ukraine.
The ISO 22000 standard includes requirements for information exchange and the program of mandatory previous measures (prerequisites), except procedures based on the HACCP principles. Implementation of the principles of HACCP is not enough to obtain a certificate. If you plan to certify your company, then the food safety management system has to be developed and implemented in accordance with all the requirements of ISO 22000 standard.
In what cases getting ISO 22000 certificate is needed?
- If you plan not just to meet the mandatory requirements of the law, but also to take strong positions on the market;
- If you want to open new opportunities for cooperation with large companies;
- If you plan to work with trade networks, and especially if you are planning to release products under your own TM trade network;
- If you are going to export products abroad;
- If you want to increase sales by increasing consumer confidence in your products.
Pay Attention! In the context of the release of the new version of the international ISO 22000: 2018 standard there is a transitional period – both versions of the standard - 2005 and 2018 are valid for three years. Certificates for the previous version of ISO 22000: 2005 are valid until June 18, 2021. The regulations for the expiration of the national version of the Standard ISO 22000: 2007 (ISO 22000: 2005, IDT) have not been adopted yet. Certificates are issued for a standard period of validity of 3 years from the date of issue.
We recommend in advance to take care of the transition to a new version of the standard and when finished receive certificates for the updated version.